11.30.2008

the quiet


hi. 
it is late again. and extremely quiet. this seems like such a rarity today, even the ambient noise of earth can get in the way, but not right now. sure, there is the hum of this laptop, and the comcast HD box, and some douchebag who is falling down drunk in the street, but outside of that, it is very quiet, and it is just me and my brain. i could say, "i am alone with my thoughts" like every other songwriter, crap movie of the week writer and who knows else, but then i might as well go on and say "i don't know who you are anymore" or "who am i?" lets just say that it is just me now and i have a lot to think about. ok. i drove from the manchester NH airport to newburyport MA and passed maybe 5 cars in 40 minutes, that type of freeway solitude almost never happens anymore, and it is phenomenal. the radio was off, but soundtracks of ambient noise flowed through me, and thoughts of how to share this moment . . . with orion looming large in front of me, turning off the headlights for just a moment to be enveloped by the sky and then remembering that this is crazy and turning them back on. so what conclusions did i reach? has this quiet time produced anything other than this post? no, but to me, right now, the fact that these thoughts exist is enough. ok. good.

No comments: